Frequently asked questions
Do I need to be home for the installation?
No, but we do like to coordinate with customers on the specific installation location. This is best done in person, but is easy to accomplish with a phone call and/or text messages.
My curb has cracks or is shorter than normal - Can I still get a blue tile address?
It depends. We cannot install accorss expansion joints or major cracks. It's important to keep the mosaic at least 4" from any major crack or expansion joint. Mosaics lengths can be estimated using 4-5" per character (10 character mosaic is between 40 and 50" long).
What do I need to provide on installation day?
1) Instructions on exactly where we need to install the mosaic.
How do you clean up afterwards?
We clean up the mess we make which is any consumables used by us and the peices of curb that we chip out. The dust and small particulates will be hosed down. We don't have the waste capacity to carry away all of the pre-existing gutter scum and build up often found in the streets when we arrive. This will be shoveled out of our way and left or put in a place of your chosing close to the installation location. We aren't street cleaners.
Can you remove the faded painted address number?
Yes, please mention it in the notes section of your booking so we can come prepared with paint remover. We use spray on premium stripper to remove the paint, and due to it's being extremely caustic, we keep a very limited amount in on hand. It can be found at most big box hardware stores.
Tell me about the tiles, font and format.
These are historically accurate reproductions of the tiles use in the Houston City Streets to mark block numbers and addresses between early 1900's and the 50's. The font and format are based on the 3800+ remaining original mosaics left in Houston City Streets.
I want to organize my block to do a group buy - can we get a discount?
Yes, but there's a catch (there's always a catch).
1) I need a single point of contact (SPOC).
2) SPOC will provide a list of all orders for the group:
d) Exactly what the tiles will say.
3) I will schedule the date and time for all installs with the SPOC, put the schedule on my calendar with notifications sent to the individuals.
4) The SPOC will be sent one invoice for the entire group to be paid in advance. (Yes, you will be responsible for chasing everyone down for payment).
5) I will come out and install all of the tiles according to the provided schedule and coordinate with individuals at the time of installation whether in person or via phone to pick the location of the install, find the hose spigot, etc.
Call or email me to discuss specifics and the size of your project. 713 296 0656 or firstname.lastname@example.org
I live at 123 and own the houses nextdoor, 119 and 127. If I order a 9 character tile+installation, can you install at all 3 locations?
Please don't. Are you the type person who asks a home builder to build 2 houses on neighboring lot, paying on materials for both, but expecting free labor for the second one?
That's too expensive.
That's not a question.
1) Compared to what? A Big Mac? Your cable, cell phone, or electricity bill? Box wine or case of Natty Light?What you spend in landscaping each year? The guys painting curbs?
2) A wiseman once said if you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait till you hire an amateur.The cheap solution once cost him dearly.
3) DIY! My first couple of test jobs came out pretty aweful... I've repaired failed installs from many of my fellow DIY folks - put my number in your phone, we'll be talking. 713 296 0656
Do I need approval from my HOA?
I don't know. We have not yet run into any known HOA problems.
We have installed tile at an HOA Board member's home.
Most HOA's mandate that your address # is visible from the street, or must be on the curb or mailbox, most don't state exactly how it must be displayed.
This process does not destroy the curb, it maintains the curb's original dimensions, and it does not fully penetrate the curb for purposes of adding a driveway, sidewalk or drain line.
This solution is a permanent alternative to painting the address number, and holds more historical significance to Houston than a spraypainted Texan's logo (*Missing the Oilers :-( ) Asking forgiveness is easier than asking permission...
Can you do custom colors? I went to A&M and want Maroon on White!
Yes, BUT, The Blue and White tiles are historically significant to Houston, and we do not intend to dilute that image.
We have done custom colored tile accents for municipalities around Houston (Houston South East Greenways Project is one of them). If you live near one of these projects and want tiles with accents that match the city's improvements, we are happy to work with you to do so!
If you're outside of the reaches of Houston, wanting a custom sign color or a unique indoor project, and want different colors, call me and we can discuss your needs! 713 296 0656
I'm having new curbs put in, can I have the concrete contractors pour the recesses into the curb, and get you to install the tiles for a price less than the full curb prep/install pricing advertised?
Yes, I've done several of these projects, BUT!
1) They don't look as good as when we prepare the curb.
2) If the preparation isn't the correct width or height, you might incur additional curb preparation charges.
3) They just don't look as good.
4) You invest all this dough into a new curb, let us provide our full installation service to get you the smooth, flush mount look.
5) They really don't look as good!
What are you installation location recommendations?
We will work with you to help determine where it looks best for your home and where the best section of curb is for the installation.
Corner homes we suggest ordering the Address # and Street Name and installing near the corner on the appropriate street.
Non-corner homes: With Mail Box, it may work best inline with mail box. With no mail box, inline with the front door or center of home. With a 'U' Shape drive, in the middle of the 'U'.
We will not install over large cracks in the curb, or across expansion joints.
Our curb is damaged, can you repair it?
Yes, we can pour new curbs, sidwalks, driveways, stairs and more. Call for more informaiton.
What's the answer to life, the universe and everything?
I have original tiles from the 40's that are damaged, can you repair them?
It's likely that too many are missing or the curb is damaged and the full mosaic and or cub would need replacing. Feel free to contact us with pictures and we may be able to come up with a solution. Typically the solution is full replacement.